Sunday, November 1, 2015

Mary Poppins Costume

I know Halloween is over, but I realized I never got a chance to show you my Halloween costume. I went as Mary Poppins.

First, I found a parasol. They sell them on Amazon.com, but I saw a white rain umbrella at Target, so I got that one because it looks like a parasol and we wouldn't have to wait for shipping. The link that I put up for Target is the same brand and style of umbrella, but I got it in white (which is not showing up on the website) but I added it just to give you the details, etc.

My mother and I sewed my dress, that I wanted to look like the white lace dress Mary Poppins wore in parts of the movie. We bought a pattern from Joann's Fabric and Crafts, which you can find the exact pattern here: http://www.simplicity.com/p-1992-costumes.aspx
We made that dress out of sparkly white cotton fabric, then sewed on some red bows and flowers, and made a ruffle type thing by sewing two rectangles together inside out, but leaving a little undone, so you can flip it inside out, back to the good side. Then I sewed down the middle on a basting stitch (no back stitching), and gently pulled the ends of the thread to gather it. We sewed it to the dress, and that part was finished.


I wore some of my sister's boots for these pictures, but any boots will work really. That is pretty much all, so I hope you all had a happy Halloween, and remember to turn your Fall Tulle Pumpkin to the side with just a bow to get in the spirit of Thanksgiving!










No comments:

Post a Comment