Monday, September 22, 2014

Dog Leg Warmers

My sister has a golden retriever puppy named Jake, and he will be one year old this month.



For his birthday, I made him some Dog Leg Warmers. I thought I'd show you how to do that. 

 

To start, you'll need two balls of yarn (one for the leg warmers and one for the letters), a  small 10.5 inch crochet loom, loom hook, and yarn needle. I bought all of this at Joann's Fabrics.

The box of the loom comes with directions, but I finished it a little different so here's a brief summary.

You start it the same way, then once you've gone around 21 times, you will cut the end long, thread it through the needle, and take the needle through each loop and tie it to secure the end. I tied it so that it is tight when I stick my fingers two inches apart inside it.

If any of this is confusing just look at the instructions and make it your own. Make 4 of those, and you can leave it like that if you want. Since JAKE is four letters and he has four legs, I made a letter for each leg. You can just make his initial on one also.

For the lettering, if you already know a way, go ahead and do that. If you don't, depending on what letter you have, you'll have to use my technique in a different way. First cut off a really long piece of yarn, thread it in half through the needle and knot the end together.

To make the letter L
First, put the needle inside the legwarmer and pull up, through the top of it. Then put it back in, eight stitches above that, and go around that loop twice to secure. Once you get back to where you started, go four stitches to the right, and go around that loop. Once you've finished, tie a knot inside the legwarmer.

If any of this is confusing, just search on Youtube.  I have found a few videos that I enjoy learning from. Have fun making this with your puppy.

Happy birthday Jake!!! 💙💙💙







No comments:

Post a Comment