Sunday, January 1, 2017

Guitar Picks

As some of you may know, I've made a ton of crafts during the Christmas season, but due to the fact that they were presents, I was unable to share them with you all. So... My sister proposed an idea that I  post all of them in January. So here I am, with Catch Up January! (If any of you have ideas for a better name, comment!) 

Today's craft is what I made for both of my brothers. Guitar Picks. It cost like $7 from buying the pack of CDs but everything else I had at home. And with the one pack of CDs, you really could make millions of guitar picks, and burn a bunch of CDs. Plus if you have a CD at home, you could use it and not even spend a nickel ;)
Aside from CDs, you'll need strong scissors, sandpaper, a washable marker, acrylic paints and a paintbrush, and optionally but highly recommended, a guitar pick to trace. If you don't have one, simply print out a scaled image, cut it out, then trace it.

Ok, now to the making. Trace your guitar pick or template straight onto the CD. Don't use the clear disc protector, because it is not thick enough. Use the washable marker so that after you cut it out, you won't see the lines. I didn't know this, so I used a sharpie, but it is so visible. Once it is all traced, use a strong pair of scissors to cut the CD. I didn't think it would work, but it did! It only cracked once, so be sure to hold the disc straight while you are cutting it, and to go slow. You can cut multiple all on one CD. After they are cut out, sand the edges with sandpaper to smooth everything out. If necessary, wash the guitar picks to get the marker off. And finally paint it. Remember to only paint in one direction, and do multiple coats, and finish it with mod podge. I painted the ones I made, but I don't currently have a photo of them finished. I'll have to add that later.

Happy new year and have fun trying out your guitar picks!


No comments:

Post a Comment