Sunday, July 31, 2016

DIY Stuffed Animal: Horse Information

My nephew turned 2 a few weeks ago, and all he talks about is how his favorite animal is a horse!!!! So for his birthday, I sewed him a handmade horse stuffed animal that he calls Bullseye to go along with his Toy Story action figures ;)

I did a tutorial on the basics of making a stuffed animal a few months ago that you can find below

To sew a horse stuffed animal, you have to have some sewing experience and an eye for how the seams will come together, because this is a challenging project, and I just make up my own patterns. 

Basically what I did was cut two ovals for the body, but on one oval, cut four circles (one where each leg would be). Then, I cut four rectangles that when folded and sewn up would be the legs, but before that, I sewed a little rectangle of a lighter color brown fabric for the hooves. I cut a light brown circle out and sewed it as the bottom of the hoof, but this was like the hardest part, so if necessary, just sew the bottom of the leg closed, instead. Sew the opening of the leg to the cutout in the body. I cut out a large rectangle and sewed a piece of furry fabric to it, then stitched up both sides, so it's the neck with a mane. I sewed a U shaped piece of fabric as the head, with the light brown as the mouth of course, and hot glued googly eyes on. I sewed little triangles out of the lighter material and sewed them in between the neck and the head to be the ears. Now is the part where you sew it all together, leaving only one hole, so that you can flip it right side out. I kept the tail open so that I can hide the hand stitching underneath the tail. Stuff it full of stuffing, then cut a rectangle of the furry mane material and sew the sides, then sew it into the hole we left open. Lastly, hand stitch the opening closed. Since the neck will probably be droopy and head will stick straight out, tack it into place by hand stitching back and forth just in one little spot to hold it up. I embroidered my nephew's name on the hooves with a needle and embroidery floss.

That's basically all in a broad way, but if you have any questions, comment!!! This was really fun to make and the supplies cost like $7 I think when using coupons, but it is time consuming.
I also made a miniature horse with the excess fabric, but the bigger it is, the easier. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!!!! And check my Instagram for some cute videos with the horse!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment