Sunday, September 13, 2015

Silhouette

This silhouette is so easy to do, and takes very little time! Let's get started. 

First, you will need a side view photo of your model. Mine was a gift, so I used a picture of my sister's dog. You could do babies, yourself, trees, etc. It's a lot easier than using the flashlight and tracing the shadow, so it's much more handy to do different things. Here's the photo I used.

Next, print out the picture full size on a piece of paper. It can be in black and white, or color ink. Here's where you need to be skilled. The hardest part of this project, is cutting out the picture. You need to cut out whatever your silhouette will be of, so in this case, I will only cut out the dog. I had my sister do it, because she would most likely do a better cutting job, but what we did was cut around the dog, then go back and do all of the tiny details. 
 
After that, take the picture and trace it with pencil onto card stock or a canvas, etc.

Now the final step is to fill in the tracing with black paint. I used the FolkArt brand Metallic Sequin Black acryllic paint.  You will need a small brush for the details and a bigger brush for filling in the middle. I did it by painting the middle first, then taking my little brush around the outline of the picture, doing all of the edges and details. I put on two coats of paint.

That is all to it! I wrote on the bottom corner with a sharpie the dogs name, Jake, the date/ or date of special event like birthdays, and my name.

I hope you enjoy this project! And remember, if you are going to frame it, don't do any details close to the edges of the paper, because we had to trim it to fit. 
^my model sits under the table with me, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment