Sunday, August 7, 2016

DIY Painting Sponge Stippler

Before I made this craft, I didn't know what a sponge stippler was, I always thought of it as a sponge circle dotting tool paintbrush thing, so in case you don't know what it is, it's the foam paintbrushes that paint a perfect circle. 

They are very inexpensive; you can buy a pack of 10, in an assortment of sizes, for like less than $5, but I can make as many as I want in different sizes from home, using only materials that I already had, so that should save you some money, plus it's fun!

What you'll need is a Popsicle stick (to be the handle, so you'll need as many as you want to make), a small piece of craft foam (any thickness will work, but I recommend between an inch to 1/2 inch), a hot glue gun, a geometric compass, and a marker.

To start, take your piece of foam, and use your compass to make a perfect circle, the size you want, then since the pencil on the compass won't show up on the foam well, use the marker to go over the circle. Now, cut out the circle of foam, and fold it in half, and use some scissors to cut out a tiny piece of the foam in the center (NOT GOING ALL THE WAY THROUGH) to be the spot for the Popsicle stick. Use your hot glue gun and glue in that little indent, and hold your Popsicle stick there until it dries for a few seconds, but don't push it down into the sponge too much. Then add a little bit of hot glue around the Popsicle stick opening for security, and you're good to go.

When using it, dab your sponge tool in the paint, and rotate it to get an even layer around the whole thing. Sponge a little bit on a practice paper to remove the excess. To apply, push down on the real paper and spin to again, even out the paint. Rinse it out when you're done!

That's all to it! Here I made a little birthday card showing how I used the sponge thing for balloons, but just to let y'all know, it's not my birthday ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment