Sunday, November 8, 2015

DIY Thanksgiving Place Settings

Today I will show you how to make a few things for Thanksgiving dinner that will add a little something special to your everyday place settings. Also, I'd like to apologize for my use of plastic silverware and plates! Haha! It's not thanksgiving yet!

For all of these things, you will need a burlap place mat (I got mine from the Dollar section at Target for $3 each), a brown paper bag or brown paper bag or brown paper, additional orange construction papers, a yellow or orange paper napkin, a package of fake fall leaves, a sharpie, a hit glue gun, scissors, tape, twine (I found my gold and white sparkly twine in the Christmas section at Target for $4), and orange sparkly tulle (the same one I used for my Fall Tulle Pumpkin).

First, I will show you how to make a really cute Turkey Napkin Holder. Cut the brown paper or paper bag into a rectangle that is 1 inch tall and 4 1/4 inches long. Somewhere in the middle or the four and one fourth inches, cut an oval instead of a straight line across to be the turkey's head. On the oval, draw two small circles with a black sharpie and color them in for the eyes, then cut off a small piece of orange paper, food it in half, and cut a triangle, so that it ends up in a diamond like shape. Glue the bottom half below the eyes, so that when the top half folds over, it will look like a beak. Now, take both sides of the brown turkey we just cut out, and tape them together in the back into a circle shape. When it is taped, the circumference should be around 3.5 inches, because we used the rest to overlap and tape. Fold the extra construction paper four times and cut it so its around 3.5 inches, and put that inside the turkey for extra stability. Now just unfold your yellow paper napkin once, so instead of a square, it looks like a rectangle. Fold it back and forth to create a paper fan, then put the part that is held together inside the turkey and construction paper, and let the rest fan out.

For the cup, I just cut some orange tulle and rapped it around the middle of the cup, then used some twine to tie a bow around the two sides of tulle, holding it together. If you are using paper products like me, I would even just hot glue them to the plastic cup. Also, when you cut the twine, it will fray, so I recommend putting a dap of hot glue on the ends.


For the silverware, I punched a hole in a fake fall leaf and threaded the twine through it, wrapped it around the stacked silverware a few times and tied it. And of course, I recommend the hot glue at the ends of the twine, but adult supervision is recommended.



I wrote my name on another fake fall leaf to mark my place. That is all. Enjoy your place settings and if you use this post as inspiriation for your settings, send me a picture! Who knows... Maybe you'd even be featured on The I in Creativity's social media! 




No comments:

Post a Comment