Sunday, January 3, 2016

Coasters

Since last week I did a hairstyle, I thought that this week would be good to do a DIY. For Christmas, I made my family all home-made gifts, and one of them was a set of personalized coasters. It's really easy, so here's how to do it! 

For this project, you will need square 4x4 tiles (in the flooring section of Home Depot or Lowes. They are really cheap, each tile is about 16 cents), Mod Podge glue (from a craft store, or from the dollar section at Target), one picture for each tile printed on photo paper (from Walmart or printed at home), a paint brush, and Felt Self Stick Pads (that would go on the bottom of furniture, etc.) You will also want to have a cup of water to rinse out your brush.
First, cut out your pictures to fit onto the tile and decide where you'd like them (centered, etc.). Then, apply a layer of Mod Podge to the back of the picture and stick it onto the tile. If you stick it in the wrong place, it is ok to slide it around once you put it down, because the glue dries clear. Let it dry all the way, then paint over the picture and tile with a few more layers of Mod Podge. Be sure to have your brush strokes all going the same direction (I like horizontal). Also, the ink on the photos tend to smudge, so be really careful when going over faces, etc.. That is why I recommend to rinse out the brush often so the ink on the brush doesn't spread. Do a few more coats of Mod Podge to make sure the photos don't get ruined by the condensation on the coaster. 

Lastly, peel off the backs of the Felt pads and stick them onto the bottom of each coaster so it glides smoothly. I put four large ones on each coaster. When I gifted them, I stacked all of the coasters and tied a bow. That is all for your coasters! Enjoy! Oh, and as always, go to my Facebook page to see the clearer version of these photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment